Sunday, 8 January 2012
MatsSoft wins plaudits for lifesaving SMS For Health project in Africa
The company’s process tracking technology has played a crucial role in ensuring the success of IHP’s groundbreaking medical initiative in the Gambia – SMS For Health.
MatsSoft Project Manager Kash Baga was among the key partners invited to join IHP at the House of Lords as the organisation received the prestigious innovation award for its work over the past five years, supporting medical aid organisations that serve children and adults in deprived communities around the world.
Harnessing mobile communications, MatsSoft created and implemented a system that uses SMS text messaging to deliver updates on the stock levels of key drugs across the supply chain, including remote health clinics, to reduce the risk of supplies running out.
SMS For Health not only tracks medication supplies and monitors the expiry data of pre-specified medicines, but also enables the logging and sharing of data on the incidence of particular diseases and the types of treatment provided in 55 health facilities in the Gambia.
MatsSoft CEO Martin Scovell said: “We were very pleased to work with IHP on this fantastic initiative and to know that our dynamic software platform has contributed towards saving lives is the greatest possible reward. However, to receive recognition at the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise is an incredible thrill for us all, and particularly for Kash, for his continued hard work and dedication in support of this vital project.”
Among those present at the awards ceremony were Prof Lord McColl of Dulwich, the Vice Lord Lieutenant of London and the Secretary of State for Health, the Rt Hon Andrew Lansley.
Jono West, Partnership Projects Relationship Manager at IHP, said: “International Health Partners invited Kash Baga to attend this event as recognition of MatsSoft’s outstanding work in designing, implementing and running the SMS For Health program in the Gambia. This has enabled vital data on disease outbreak and medicine stock control to be tracked across the whole country's health facilities using SMS technology.
“Matssoft demonstrated an ability to find solutions to a range of issues and overcame barriers to implementing the project in a developing country, while working in a tight time-frame to have the programme up and running before the Malaria season began. Their strong work ethic, flexibility and ability to problem-solve ensured the success of the program."
Over the past five years, IHP has collaborated with a range of organisations to maximise its impact. With the support of these partners, IHP has been able to donate 15 million treatments, valued at £100m, in 86 countries.
IHP Chairman Stephen O’Brien noted: “We are honoured to receive this award which recognises the power of collaboration and the potential of just what can be achieved when multiple stakeholders combine in common purpose. Humanitarian aid is an area in which everyone wants to become involved; however, it takes an innovative new model and approach to ensure that the best each partner has to offer can be combined to provide a truly effective humanitarian response.”
• MatsSoft’s workflow and communications solution, MATS®, is a managed service that can be quickly and easily set up to drive immediate and measurable efficiency gains, cost reductions and service improvements.
• MATS® unique web-based, user configurable solution is used in any situation where there is a customer, a supplier and a product or service process with more than one stage. By linking workflow and communications, MATS® keeps customers proactively informed via automated SMS messages, emails or personalised web pages, thereby freeing up the time staff previously spent on the ‘phone.
• MATS® hosted solutions are now being used for processes such as mortgage and loan applications, insurance claims, bereavements, account openings, voting systems, case management, customer service, logistics, remote customer/patient management, complaints handling, supply chain management and resource management.
• MATS® is currently used by many of the key firms in sectors including banking and insurance, healthcare, pharmaceutical, logistics, manufacturing, public utilities and government. MATS® is also used as a bulk communication medium to customers and third parties, via text messaging and email campaigns.
• Within days of installation, MATS® customers have reported calls down 65%, capacity up 30% and complaints down 90%
• The reporting tools within MATS® also provide valuable real time management information on workflow and business process management that is used to further refine and improve cost control and service levels.
• For more information, visit www.matssoft.co.uk , call 01234 321555 or email email@example.com
• For further information about International Health Partners (IHP), go to http://www.ihpuk.org/home