Tuesday, 8 November 2011
Splunk to Provide Integration with Apache™ Hadoop™
“Splunk has proven itself as a market leader for delivering operational intelligence from massive machine data, and Hadoop is a great platform for data science. Bringing these two worlds together is a very natural fit,” said Todd Papaioannou, entrepreneur in residence at Battery Ventures and former Chief Architect for Yahoo’s Global Cloud Computing team, where he was integral in shaping and driving the strategic direction of Yahoo!’s Cloud and Hadoop teams.
Splunk provides software that enables users to collect, monitor, analyze, search and report on massive streams of real-time and historical machine data and includes enterprise capabilities, such as role-based access controls. The new offering will leverage the capabilities of Splunk Enterprise and Hadoop. Users will be able to:
• Collect machine data with Splunk Enterprise from tens of thousands of sources, perform real-time search, rapid data analysis, monitoring and alerting, then optionally deliver data to Hadoop for archival or to run specialized batch analytics
• Use Splunk to run MapReduce queries against data in Hadoop, and then pull the resulting data sets into Splunk for further processing, analysis, to create dashboards, and to share the results
• Extend Splunk’s authentication and role-based access controls to protect data stored in Hadoop as well as Splunk
• Use Splunk APIs and SDKs to integrate the data in Splunk Enterprise and Hadoop with other applications
• Monitor and troubleshoot Hadoop deployments as well as the rest of the IT infrastructure using Splunk’s proven capabilities to deliver greater reliability and productivity.
“This integrated offering provides access to Splunk’s real-time capabilities, ease-of-use and enterprise functionality that people in IT around the world have come to love”, said Erik Swan, co-founder and chief technology officer at Splunk. “We believe our fully integrated solution, rather than just offering a simple Hadoop connector, will enable Splunk customers and Hadoop developers to accelerate mission-critical big data projects successfully.”
David Menninger, Vice President and Research Director, Ventana Research said, “In our recent Hadoop and Information Management benchmark research, two of the biggest technology obstacles of Hadoop cited by participants were real-time capabilities and integration. This integration announcement from Splunk is significant because it addresses both of these issues, providing real-time search and monitoring of machine data as well as integration with Hadoop for its advanced batch analytics. We see the resulting combination of big data technologies will benefit both Splunk users and Hadoop developers alike.”
Splunk Enterprise for Hadoop is expected to be available for download in Q1 2012. For more information please visit www.splunk.com/goto/bigdata.
Splunk® Inc. is the engine for machine data™. Splunk software collects, indexes and harnesses the massive machine data continuously generated by the websites, applications, servers, networks and mobile devices that power your business. Splunk software enables businesses to monitor, search, analyze, visualize, and act on massive streams of real-time and historical machine data.
Over half of the Fortune 100 and more than 3,000 enterprises, universities, government agencies, and service providers in 70+ countries use Splunk Enterprise to gain operational intelligence that deepens business understanding, improves service and uptime, reduces cost, and mitigates cyber-security risk. To learn more please visit www.splunk.com/company.